Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Day 9 "Monkey in the Middle"

"Monkey in the Middle"

As a kid, a wise, well meaning adult told me that odd numbered friendships didn't work...someone would always get left out of the loop. "Better to stick with even numbered groups," they cautioned me.

I ended up in more odd numbered groups and noticing that, got nervous and wondered if they were doomed to fail, with one getting left behind, or feeling isolated, namely me! I thought about this so often, it eventually became a belief.

Now I look back on that realizing how bombarded we are as kids with words of wisdom from the adults in our world. Now it is easier to see those beliefs for what they were, someone else's worries, doubts or fears or wishes for us. Letting go of the "odd numbered" thing was a relief and opened me up to more experiences that showed me that simply wasn't true....for me.

After having had children, the "odd number thing" came back again, from a few other parents (who had even numbers of kids) telling me it wouldn't work as smoothly as even numbers and that I should consider having another one to even things up.

Three have worked out well, I'm glad to say, and "Monkey in the Middle," came up quite often while they were growing up, with the monkey often being the oldest or youngest. 

That whole idea was the starting point for this little watercolor.   Who was the monkey in your bunch?

"Monkey in the Middle,"  5 x 7"  Watercolor and ink

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg