Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

April Day Brighteners.....day 18... Playing with Clay


"Play with Clay"

Stopping at a supermarket recently to pick up a bottle of glue, I spied a display of Play Doh next to the magazine rack. Amazing to see what is available when standing in the queue. 
One can for only 88 cents. How could I pass up such a deal? Impulse purchase marketing strategies aside, I grabbed one.

Once home, I pulled it from the can, squeezing that irresistible and familiar softness. Of course I had to deeply inhale that signature Play Doh scent. I was instantly 8 years old, ready to sculpt something amazing. The most forgiving of art materials, it allowed me as a kid to create and recreate an infinite number of times. A fish became a turtle which became a dog which  then turned into a fat snake and finally, a stack of pancakes, complete with butter pats.

A nearby fork created decorative patterns and for a short while, I was a real sculptor, making the clay do whatever I wanted. It made me feel powerful, creative and inventive, almost invincible. It also was somehow relaxing and when finished, I'd smash my latest creature and pop it back into the can for the next time I felt like watching it go through the whole transformation process again.

I ran across a study that described how some people have benefited immensely by manipulating clay. Playing with clay, it said:

1. Reduces stress levels 
2. Clears and relaxes an overwhelmed brain 
3. Promotes a feeling of  well being 
4. Provides an opportunity for having fun

Next time you see Play Doh, or something similar, grab it or better yet, make your own with one of the many recipes available online and let your inner kid-sculptor come alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg