Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

January 2016 Day 25 Painting Challenge


Sipping my cuppa and looking out the window at 2 feet of snow this morning, I wondered what would come to me in the way of ideas for a new felt piece. Inspiration can come from any direction...sometimes from something I see, often by a whisper in my head as I sit quietly with one of my kitties. Today, I looked over at a painting we bought a few years back while living in New Zealand. This piece grabbed me the first time I laid eyes on it...I started photographing small sections, and getting in very closely to see the detail. Bingo. Found my inspiration for the day.

detail of Cristina Popovici's Extra Realistic Up Close
 
Extra Realistic Up Close by Cristina Popovici

Have you ever looked at something in your home on different occasions and noticed qualities about it that you hadn't before? Maybe it depends on what degree of presence we bring while observing it. Ha! Maybe this is also why we cannot "see" something that is lost and is actually right in front of us! 


I love the ways Popovici (see her work here) works the surfaces of her paintings. They have great depth, varied textures, rich color and layers of glazing. I used a detail to get me going in the right direction today.


Visit Leslie Saeta's Painting Challenge Blog HERE .

Some paintings I've pinned from the challenge are HERE  .

As added inspiration, I played this piece of music I recently discovered on youtube. It's Massimo Bucci's acoustic piano arrangement of one of my favorite songs, Firth of Fifth by Genesis. Find the song HERE.

P.S. I was not intending to do an Andy Warhol version of a wool painting (top image today). The new blog template I am using stretched my felt image out across the width of the page and as yet, I have not figured out how to change the settings so it is the correct size.  Therefore, 4 mini versions in a row. lol. 

One last thing....since there are only a few days left in the challenge, I will be doing one more give away. I'm working on the piece today and will post it tomorrow.  See you then!

6 comments:

  1. Corinna, this new piece is exquisite! I love the story of its inspiration, and I thank you for the intro to Popvici and the link to music. I think I need to hop in my car, drive 400 miles, and knock on your door so you can teach me to felt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Dotty. Cristina's paintings have so much movement and energy in them, it comes across when standing before one and experiencing it. Yes, come on over! Ha, that would be fun. I'd like to put some felting processes on line for others to use, so thank you for the idea! ps It is highly addictive as it helps to create an atmosphere of stillness, calm and peacefulness. Then when you need a change, grab a hold of the guillotine and do some paperwork! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the links Corinna. I love this piece, and the story of how it came to be. Love the touches of soft pink, and the wispy white strands. Wonderful interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...so many places to get sparks of inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Great piece and great ideas on finding inspiration.....on this day 26. Yikes!
    I Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie. Yikes is right! I feel like continuing with one a day...

      Delete

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg