Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

June 6 Play with Clay


I am a big fan of clay...all kinds, from play doh to polymer, modeling to earth clays. I've played with all and have discovered each has its own charm and unique qualities. I keep them all nearby so when inspiration (or desperation) hits, I am ready.

In the last few months, I began taking small batches of homemade play dough to work every day, in my subbing jobs at the local elementary schools. 

On occasion, I've handed out little snack-sized baggies of my favorite clay recipe, purple, peppermint-scented with gold glitter throughout. The peppermint comes from essential oils and reminds me of candy canes, a clean, uplifting smell that most kids seem to love. I've seen kids relax and be more willing to do the work their teachers left for them to complete while they were squeezing that little purple, sparkly ball. Some wrapped it around their pencils for writing, some made snakes, rings and even mustaches. A few minutes of sniffing, pinching and pulling that day seemed to get them into a more relaxed state and they went right to work. All the groaning stopped. What a bonus for me. Something so simple providing such benefits.

As I walked around, I saw little balls of clay parked on the corners of desks, at the ready until needed. An instant way to relieve stress and take a short break.

My little clay came in very handy two days ago after I was involved in an accident, the other driver totaling his car as he rear ended my car while I waited to enter a roundabout. At the hospital, I squeezed the clay I had in my purse and it helped to keep me calm and focused. Yes, I got some odd looks from people, but rolling and pinching that clay was so pleasurable, it took my mind off my worries.

For a little something to enjoy, pick up some play clay or make your own from one of the many online recipes and tweak it to suit your tastes. Allow yourself to create a tiny sculpture of some kind. You might surprise yourself with what appears and how it makes you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg