Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

June 7 The Magic of Paint

"Painting to Happy"

Do you remember how great it was to fingerpaint? I loved the combination of slick, shiny paper, all those blobs of color, the smell of the colors,  and the best part, smearing it all to create some kind of imagery.

I'd slip into my backwards smock (dad's old shirt buttoned up the back) and drag my fingers around in creamy paint, all over my paper, blending the colors and surprising myself with what I'd made. Folding the paper in half, rubbing and opening it back up resulted in some kind of creature, standing boldly in the center of the paper. All I had to do was add eyes and other details like horns, claws and nostrils. 

One kid would stand nearby, with an almost horrified expression on her face. Usually there is one in every class. You know, the one who doesn't like to get dirty or touch gross stuff. For me, the messier the better and I still like it now.

I'm not surprised at the popularity of the painting party workshops and classes that are popping up all over the country. It seems like the modern day equivalent of the quilting bee with a few changes tossed in. Adults pay about $45, are given painting supplies and are then led on a painting demo to create a copy of a masterpiece. Reminds me of watching the beloved Bob Ross paint his happy trees.
Add your friends, a glass of wine and you are almost guaranteed  a great time. 

Playing with paint creates a magic that brings delight to people of all ages. Get out some paint and have a go...see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg