Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2016

April 2016. Felts. Day 16. Another Big Orange Flower

Big Orange Flower
Everywhere I look on the web, I see lots of tiny art. Paintings the size of thumbnails, sculptures on the ends of pencils and posable teddy bears, the size of a sugar cube. Honestly, I like working small but I'm not sure how some of these artists can pull this off! I have great respect for their ability (and their incredible eyesight) to work on such a small scale.  And after seeing so much little stuff, I started leaning in that direction. 

This week, though, two people asked me why I haven't considered working on a larger scale. Not sure, but I like the idea of working on bigger projects. I guess my only hesitation is about where to store any finished pieces.  I saw a photo last week of a life sized whale made of felt. I couldn't believe it. An incredible work to be sure, but it was stored in a warehouse. And that is a lot of wool! Think of the moth protection you'd need for something that magnificent in scale.

My version of working larger is today's Another Big Orange Flower, which measures 10" across (25.4 cm) and is made of wet felted wool and glass beads. One of my biggest brooches to date.

What scale do you enjoy working on most? What scale poses the biggest challenges?

4 comments:

  1. Granddaughter Emmy, 6, saw Another Big Orange Flower and spontaneously said, "ooooooo! Pretty! Look!"

    Yup.

    Ten inches? Whoa!

    Love the radiant warmth, the gradations of color, and your stunning staging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dotty! Little guys love orange!
    Big flower....coming soon, teeny weenies. Tell Emmy to stay posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this one is small? I LOOOVVVEEE this!. The wonky petals are all kinds of cool! The sunny colors, of course. Life size???? OMG. And ten inches sound big to me. Can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is big! I love all the tiny things I see out there and decided to go big on this one. Next time I'll put something in for scale. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg