Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

January 2016 Day 30 Painting Challenge

 
Where the Current Takes Me


The final piece for the 30 day challenge. Listened to some music, got all drifty and had fun with this one.
Where the Current Takes Me (detail)
Where the Current Takes Me is made of wet and needle felted Corriedale, Merino silk, seed beads, glass beads, paua shell, and some sea glass from Port Townsend, Washington's North Beach. Music I listened to was Vangelis' La petite fille de la mer (which you can find HERE.) I heard this little piece of music years ago while attending a filmmaking workshop and was enchanted by its haunting qualities. Today's felt comes in part, from immersing myself in this song. The paua shells were something I began collecting while living in New Zealand. The pieces I found on the beach were often a bit ragged, so I purchased some that had been smoothed out and polished. On occasion, I've used my dremel tool to drill tiny holes in the shells, making it easier to attach to wearable felt pieces. I marvel at the swirls of colors on these shell bits, ranging in color from blues, to purples and greens, with pink at the edges. The smooth surfaces reflect the light and add a bit of sparkle.

Visit Leslie's 30 in 30 blog here.


Congratulations to Dotty Seiter, winner of the drawing today for the GeFelte Fish. Please email me with your details and I will pop that fish in the post! See the fish here.

A big Thank You to everyone who stopped by my blog, looked at my work or left comments during the month of this challenge. I appreciate hearing your ideas and remarks. Looking forward to seeing everyone and their work in the next painting challenge!

6 comments:

  1. Such exquisite yin and yang here, Corinna, and buoyancy, and a sense of optimism that I associate with January as the fresh start to a new year. I look forward to your "more on this later today."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Dotty, I see January as the fresh start...I'm always curious about what is headed our way!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Dotty! Wooo Whoo! And to you as well Corinna! This is a fabulous end to a terrific month! I LOVE the swirling currents of color. And the top shell along with the shape there, looks like a fish. Did you mean to do that, or was it a happy accident? Love all the bits and pieces, and the colors are dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila....We did it! This has been a fun month.
      I didn't see a fish as I put this together..just love having discovered the shells with all their little bits of color. Will have to look at some I have and see if they remind me of anything else...

      Delete
  3. Corinna love this last one. Everything is flowing so nicely. Have fun creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wool is a fun material to work with...it can all flow together in different ways..thin fragments give just a hint of color.
      Thank you :)

      Delete

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg