Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

FEBRUARY 2016 Day 9 Green Dream

 
Green Dream

Someone recently gave me a big bag of antique buttons...all shapes, sizes and colors. The materials these buttons were made of included glass, plastic, metal, mother of pearl, ceramic, leather, and some whose make up I cannot determine. I really liked one green button and made this felt to hold it. Sometimes, when I am out running errands, I notice the buttons on people's clothing. Little things, easily overlooked, yet so important. Next time you are out, have a look around to see if you can spot an unusual button. It's all in the details.

Green Dream (2 1/2" x 3") is made of wet and needle felted Corriedale, with cotton, seed and glass beads and a vintage metal button.

4 comments:

  1. Fun to see red's complement in a heart! Once again, I like the balance of asymmetries, the balance of differing textures. A poem I shared recently on my blog, by Naomi Shihab Nye, comes to mind:

    Famous

    I want to be famous
    in the way a pulley is famous,
    or a buttonhole,
    not because it did anything spectacular,
    but because it never forgot what it could do.

    ---
    I will be noticing buttons appreciatively today. At the moment, I am not sporting a single one.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that poem, Dotty!
    Ha! I'm not wearing any buttons today, either.
    Guess I can do the whole spectrum of colors for these guys..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttons are intoxicating! When I was very small, I got in trouble for stealing some pretty buttons. You see, there was a bazillion of them just sitting there in a bin. I just thought they were free. I didn't get far, before mom told me to turn around and take them back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are! When I see jars of old buttons, they look like a treasure collection. Each one different, each one with a story. I could see how a little kid would be drawn in to get a closer look!

    ReplyDelete

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg